Sunday, June 26, 2011

Sunday Suppers #3

I'm on a roll! Number 3! Here goes...

Since we are now working on really saving money after our very significant car expenses, I'm trying to work more with what we have at home. This week's theme happened to be ground beef (I had about four pounds of it in the freezer). Today I didn't have to do too much. I already had all the fruit washed so all I had to do was veggie bags and two main dishes. I made a bunch of tortillas to use in the mexican lasagna and for sweet pork tacos.


Next, I cooked up some ground beef and onions, then split it in half. One half got taco seasoning (I just learned you can make that from spices in your cabinet and you don't have to buy the packets. We'll be having Mexican much more often now), and the other half got pasta sauce and roasted red peppers.

The first dish I made was with gnocchi pasta, the pasta sauce and ground beef mixture, pepperonis, and mozzarella cheese. I layered it in a 13x9 and baked it for about 30 minutes.


Next, I made Mexican lasagna. I layered corn tortillas, salsa, seasoned ground beef, refried beans, sour cream, and cheese (then repeated all the layers) and baked it for about 45 minutes. It turned out pretty good too. And I'm really excited that I used my tortilla press sucessfully! YAY!


Also, should I put the full recipe on these things? Most of the time (like today) I either make up the recipe as I go or I look at a similar recipe and tweak it to whatever I have on hand. But I could write down what I do. Let me know!


3 comments:

Unknown said...

that mexican lasagna looks to die for! glad to know that christmas present is getting used! thanks for doing this again. i look forward to it.

gobyucougars said...

Ummmm... YES! YES! YES! Post the recipes please. We like to pretend we can cook as well as you around here, so having your recipes will help us continue that charade...

Taylor said...

Today, Heather and I took about 45 min to make a rather simple dinner. We then discussed how efficient you are in the kitchen. At one point Heather said, "She even stirs fast! You just stand back and go Uhhhh....."