Saturday, June 5, 2010

Granola Bars

Guess what? I saw a recipe for homemade granola bars in a cookbook a friend gave me so I decided to try them since I've quit buying them. I'm trying to no longer buy anything that comes in a single serving package since it's basically a huge waste of packaging. I've had to change my yogurt habits, but I've found one that comes in a 32 oz. tub that I really like called Stoneyfield organic yogurt. It's yummy. Anyway, long story short, I made them, they're really good and here's a picture and the recipe.



3 cups of oatmeal (I used half steel cut 1/2 rolled for a texture variety)
3 cups of anything else (raisins, chocolate chips, nuts, fruit, coconut, dry cereal)
* I put craisins and coconut in my half and chocolate chips in Clayton's. We both got bran flakes and life cereal
1 14oz can of sweetened condensed milk
2 Tbsp. melted butter

Mix everything together in a bowl and press into a 13x9 pan. Bake at 350 degrees for 20-25 minutes. Then let cool for at least an hour. Cut into pieces and serve. You can also use a cookie sheet or jelly roll pan if you like thinner, crispier bars. Finally, I highly recommend using parchment paper underneath to get them out easier. I didn't have any so I just greased to pan well and they came out okay...

Also, I believe I added more than 3 cups of the extra stuff and my half of the bars are pretty soft and break easily. Clayton's are a little thinner and stick together really well, so I think you should be careful to keep it to 3 cups total so that the milk can stick everything together.

Anyways, they are good and it was exciting to make. I'll make them again sometime! I'm headed to work now. I'll be off at 9:30 tonight!

Erika

1 comment: