Sunday, October 26, 2008

I'm so glad when Daddy comes home....er... to Provo?

Isn't it wonderful how your daddy can just make you feel good? My Dad came up to Provo this weekend and I got to spend the whole weekend with him! YAY! It was so wonderful to see him and just enjoy each other's company. You never really miss your family until you can't see them. Families, I think, are taken for granted all the time. Provo gets pretty lonely on occasion, and I don't really have ANY family out here, so it's great to see them when I can. I was having a few problems with my parents and my dad came out here and listened to me and smoothed a lot of things out. I was just so sure that I would get disowned or something terrible, but I should have known better. Dad told me I was silly to think so, because he loves me way more than that. Sometimes I guess I just overreact.

So, in that context, food for thought: Matthew 7:9-11 "Or what man is there of you whom if his son asks bread, will he give him a stone? Or if he ask a fish will he give him a serpent? If ye then being evil know how to give good gifts unto your children, how much more shall your father which is in heaven give good things to them that ask him?"

Sometimes I just hate to ask for things, even if I need them, because I want to be independent and responsible and self-sufficient. However, I really wanted to do a couple things and my dad was able to pay for it so we could do something special. It was really neat. Now then, if my dad, who isn't exactly a money tree, was able to drive me up to Salt Lake to go see a Body Worlds exhibit (very very cool, by the way), then how much can Heavenly Father do for me, if I'll just ask? Interesting thought. Also, something I'm definitely trying to learn this year: if it seems like nobody else is there, Jesus Christ is with you every step of the way.

So, even though my dad cannot come up every weekend, I can receive blessings every day from my Heavenly Father. One of those happened to be my dad coming to spend the weekend with me! Now I've got to catch up on my homework that I didn't do on Saturday... :-)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Parents aren't so bad, all things considered. We just love our children and want to protect them. I guarantee the weekend meant as much or more to your father. This is a wonderful tribute to him.

Anonymous said...

An interesting parallel to that scripture. I love my father too. The more I think about what he has given to me and done for me this first 23 years of my life, the more I think about myself raising children and continuing the cycle. Then, I think about our Father in Heaven who has done this for all, day in and day out.