Thursday, September 18, 2008

Ice cream

Today I went to a lecture about being true disciples of Christ. There are several steps to that, but it involves obeying with all your heart and your mind. Once you learn a principle, you are supposed to act upon that principle. How many times in my life have I said to myself, "oh yeah, I can totally do that!" and then I get lazy and give up. I'll try for a little while and then decide it is too hard. I can parallel this to my experience with ice cream. I love to dance. I love ice cream. I'm trying to eat healthier and limit my ice cream intake. However, sometimes I just completely give up and eat a huge bowl of ice cream just because I'm tired of trying. If I truly wanted to be as healthy as possible, I would learn to eat ice cream in moderation just like I've been taught.

Becoming a disciple of Christ is very similar. I've been taught to do this, that, and the other, and I want to do them. I want to be perfect and do everything I've learned; however, the learning part is the easy part. It's implementing the plan that's the hard part. I just need improvement. I think that is part of being a disciple, too. Always improving, always growing, and continually trying harder. One of my favorite sayings is, "Heavenly Father doesn't expect you to be perfect. He only expects you to be progressing." So, even though I'm sure I'll go for that big bowl of ice cream many more times in my life, I know I can at least improve my track record, and maybe one day I'll get at least a close to perfect score!

No comments: