Sunday, September 14, 2008

Lights

Friday night I had an adventure. I went to the birthday party of a friend from back in Memphis. I've known her for eight years, so we go back. Well, I surprised her when I showed up and the look on her face was priceless. After we caught up for a few minutes, I set my stuff down in the living room and saw a guy sitting on the couch that I knew I knew from somewhere, but I had no clue about how I knew him. He said, "I know you," and I replied, "I know you too." After several minutes we figured out that we had been in the same anatomy class last semester. I sat down on the couch and chatted with him and his roommate joined us. After some small talk, the roommate came up with a brilliant idea. He would write a story, anatomy guy would narrate it, and I would do an interpretive dance to it. It was my birthday present to Lauren. So, they wrote the story and I wasn't allowed to ready it. Then he narrated while I did an improv interpretive dance about a king who got his head eaten by a lion and then the lion was king. Really a good story. However, it was a very unique experience for me because I never put myself out in the middle of everything for everyone to see like that. And I learned something. It was a BLAST! I loved it. I made everybody at the party laugh...especially the birthday girl!

As I was thinking about this experience, Matthew 5:14-16 came to mind. It's the classic "let your light so shine before men" scripture. I thought about how I have so many talents (singing, dancing, entertaining...) that I hate to share simply because I'm scared about how people will perceive me. But if I really want to use them for good and make other people happy, I'm not allowed to hide them under a bushel. I guess it's really important to use the blessings that you have for good so that you can grow and receive more and more. All in all, it was a very fun experience and now that I've done something a little outside of my comfort zone, I'm way more likely to do it again. Maybe I can let my light brighten someone else's day!

No comments: