Sunday, March 8, 2009

the proposals... (yes, plural)




Okay, I am determined to finish this story today. On Saturday night, at the opera, I was teasing Clayton during intermission. He responded by getting down on one knee, in the middle of the theatre, and starting “Erika (insert last name here)…” I got a little antsy and thought, this isn’t right and grabbed his arm and started to pull him up while he finished, “Do you mind if I tie my shoe?” Argh. Frustration. And very funny actually. The next day at church, in the middle of Sunday school, he took the wrapper from the Hershey’s hugs that we had gotten to keep us quiet (as is necessary for young single adults) and started to wrap it around my left ring finger. I just knew that that wasn’t right either, so I grabbed my hand away and gave him a look. You know, the look. :) Finally, after ward prayer, we were sitting on the couch. I was sad because I was figuring that he would never propose. Also, I was on my email when our love note delivery came. (Explanation: love notes are written during “munch and mingle” – the social event after ward prayer—and put in a bowl with the recipients name and apartment number on the front and are delivered upon cessation of the munch and mingle activities). Well, Mariah announced to me that I had received a love note and set it on the table in front of me. I didn’t look up for a while (poor Clayton was probably getting antsy) and finally I glanced up, noticed some rubber ducks on the table and went back to my email. Then I thought, “Wait. What are ducks doing on my table?” and picked one up. On the bottom it said “marry”. I put the ducks together and they said “Will, you, marry, me, and ?” Clayton had gotten each of my roommates to write a word (or question mark) on the bottoms. I looked at him and he handed me a duck with a ring around its neck. :) Then got down on one knee and asked me to marry him. Fortunately, I responded in the affirmative. Therefore, we are getting married. Yay for stories! Also, yay I don’t have to tell this again, I can just refer people to my blog!

P.S. Did I mention that I cried...a lot? And about five different completely random people (we do not often get visitors) walked into my apartment during the affair. Very strange.

3 comments:

Lauren said...

Haha! I hadn't heard about the fake proposals. That sounds just like Clay. So why are the rubber ducks significant?

erikab said...

Oh, I have a collection of about 100 rubber ducks. We sorted through them while at my house over Christmas. It's a long story, but my friend and I had an inside joke in seventh grade that turned into an obsession (we both have ridiculous amounts of ducks). I was also given real ducks as a birthday present once. That was also fun. :-)

Unknown said...

Thanks for sharing your perspective. You'll enjoy telling that story over and over through the years. Should we look for ducks as a wedding cake topper???