Sunday, November 16, 2008

No loners in the church (hopefully)

To continue with the theme of everyone's blogs this month, I'll also write about what I'm thankful for. First off, I am thankful for the gospel and consistency therein. I would like to tell the story of when I moved to Nashville. It is a common story going around Clayton's family about how they met their significant other. I won't bore you with the story again, but I will share a few thoughts on the matter.

Although my family has moved around its fair share of times and then some, I've never been one to be particularly outgoing and make friends immediately. So, I've always gone to church to make friends. We almost never had neighborhood friends and very rarely had school friends. We just went to church to socialize. Don't worry, nothing has changed. We still do that. So, while I was in China this June, my family moved from South Carolina (I had no friends or even acquaintances there anyways) to Nashville. I got there two days after I left China, and was very very tired. And lonely. Mom decided I needed to make friends, so she sent me to institute. I went. It was terrifying. I didn't talk to anyone and I left right after I got the refreshments following the lesson. The lesson, however, was wonderful, and I liked the teacher, so I determined that I would return. While there, a girl leaned over and asked if I wanted to go white-water rafting that Saturday. It sounded like a wonderful idea to me, and she could no longer go, so the spot was available and paid for, and I went. I think I tried on about ten outfits that morning before I found one to my satisfaction. Basketball shorts and a black t-shirt over my swimsuit. Yes, I am NOT very fashion concious. My Dad dropped me off Saturday morning (on time, just like I like to be) and I was TERRIFIED. As in, so scared I wanted to run and hide in the bushes and pretend this trip did not exist. I introduced myself, after everyone asked who I was, and tried to talk, but was definitely afraid that I had nothing interesting to say, so I just stood around waiting. I did find an escape to the bathroom, where I took as long as I possibly could. There was one guy there who wore dark sunglasses the whole time we were outside so I couldn't see his eyes (that bugged me). However, I thought he was really cute, so I was quite excited when he actually took the time to talk to me. He offered a ride, but I'd already been offered one by someone else, so I went with them. The whole trip up there, everyone in the car kept trying to make me say something, but I was RIDICULOUSLY quiet the entire ride (two hours). I probably said about ten words the whole trip. Mostly yes or no's. They kept asking, "Why are you so quiet?" Funny thing is, if you really knew me at all, you would not think I was very quiet.

Once we were there, I looked around for that guy again, I didn't even remember his name, but he had talked to me a couple times. I don't think I ever found him and I didn't want to be following him around, because I was sure he had friends there. I didn't figure anybody really wanted to talk to me anyways, so I just kind of hid in my corner and did what I was told. The trip down the river was very fun. I wanted to do the fun stuff like "ride the bull" (ride in front), but other people wanted to and I'd done it before, so I didn't feel the need to be assertive about it. Wait, I didn't feel the need to be assertive at all that day.

After the river, that one guy came and talked to me again. YAY! I figured out his name this time, Clayton, and he was really sweet. And a lot better at keeping conversation going than I was. I'm surprised he persisted, because I wasn't giving him anything. Turns out, however, that he can be very determined. We went to a picnic afterwards and he was throwing a football around with a guy. I must confess, I have very little talent for football (the ball is just too big) but I was bored and wanted to hang out with this guy. So, after taking LITERALLY ten minutes to muster up the courage, I walked over and asked if I could join. I was really hoping that they wouldn't be annoyed with a girl coming over and playing catch with them. Later we talked and he asked me to go water skiing with him the next weekend. I was so excited. And I was really hoping my parents would be so proud, because I was making friends. YAY!

We got back to the church late in the evening and kicked around the soccer ball. I displayed my mad skills at that… :-) It was fun. Clayton asked if I wanted to go hang out and watch a movie with him and Josh (another guy in the ward), but I was sure that my parents wouldn’t like that and I was honestly exhausted. I had only been back from
China for a week and jet lag is BAD! Anyways, my long story does have a point, I promise.

I just wanted to say how thankful I am that the church is the same everywhere. It's really really comforting to know that wherever in the country you are going home to (or in the world, actually), you at least will have the same church, the same gospel, and the same truth. You can find people that you already have at least one thing in common with. Also, since the gospel is a lifestyle, you generaly have many things in common with them; you don't have to worry about being the different one, or the loner. Since I'm already good at being by myself, it's one less thing I have to worry about.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

It was neat to see your side of the story. We're thankful you worked up the courage to talk to Clayton as well. And, yes, he can be very determined. Gets it from his dad!

Anonymous said...

I love that you are terrified of people, but not so much of white water rafting! I'm glad you talked to Clay (and asked to play football). He's an easy guy to talk to.